In my research I study cities and urban systems.
Below is some work in progress (apologies for the unfinished sentences/sections, missing figures/tables, editorial comments and non-sequitur):
- Gomez-Lievano, A., Strumsky, D., Henrich, J., and Lobo, J., Short and long-term patterns of invention as a process of cultural accumulation
- Gomez-Lievano, A. and Patterson-Lomba, O., The drivers of urban economic complexity and their connection to urban economic performance (submitted to Research Policy)
- Gomez-Lievano, A., Methods and Concepts in Economic Complexity
- Gomez-Lievano, A., Vysotsky, V. and Lobo, J., The Urban Wage Premium: Sorting, agglomeration economies or statistical artifact? The problem of sampling from lognormals
- Gomez-Lievano, A., Bettencourt, L.M.A., Stolarick, K., Strumsky, D. and Lobo, J., Quantifying Creative and Inventive Activities in Urban Areas through Their Full Probability Distributions
- Gomez-Lievano, A., Coscia, M., Neffke, F., and Hausmann, R., Linking structure to the dynamics of collective learning
- Gomez-Lievano, A., Ravinutala, S. and Lora, E., How industry-related capabilities affect export possibilities
- Ravinutala, S., Gomez-Lievano, A. and Lora, E., Assessing rural productive capabilities and identifying potential products by municipality
- Gomez-Lievano, A. and Ravinutala, S., The rivalrous nature of know-how
- Gomez-Lievano, A., Vysotsky, V., and Lobo, J. (2020). Artificial increasing returns to scale and the problem of sampling from lognormals. Environment and Planning B: Urban Analytics and City Science. (arxiv link)
- Brummitt, C.D., Gomez-Lievano, A., Hausmann, R., and Bonds, M.H., Machine-learned patterns suggest that diversification drives economic development, Journal of the Royal Society Interface, 2020.
- Gomez-Lievano, A., Patterson-Lomba, O., and Hausmann, R., Explaining the Prevalence, Scaling, and Variance of Urban Phenomena, Nature Humam Behaviour, 2016. (read-only link)
- Gomez-Lievano, A., Lora, E., and Tellez, J., New Insights About Wage Inequality in Colombia, Latin America Policy Journal, Fifth Edition, 2016.
- Gomez-Lievano, A., Review of "Innovation in the collective brain" by Muthukrishna and Henrich, Vox LACEA, 2016.
- Towers, S., Gomez-Lievano, A., Khan, M., Mubayi, A., and Castillo-Chavez, C., Contagion in Mass Killings and School Shootings, PLoS ONE, 2015.
- Gomez-Lievano, A., The Mechanics of Cities: The Statistical Laws behind Urban Behavior, AngleJournal, 2015.
- Patterson-Lomba, O., Goldstein, E., Gomez-Lievano, A., Castillo-Chavez, C. and Towers, S., Per capita incidence of sexually transmitted infections increases systematically with urban population size: a cross-sectional study, Sexually Transmitted Infections, 2015.
- Muneepeerakul, R., Lobo, J., Shutters, S.T., Gomez-Lievano, A. and Qubbaj, M.R., Urban Economies and Occupation Space: Can They Get "There" from "Here"?, PLoS ONE, 2013.
- Gomez-Lievano, A., Youn, H. and Bettencourt, L. M. A., The Statistics of Urban Scaling and Their Connection to Zipf's Law, PLoS ONE, 2012.
- Gomez-Lievano, A., Ph.D., Applying Distributional Approaches to Understand Patterns of Urban Differentiation
- Gomez-Lievano, A., M.Eng., Emergent Hierarchical Properties of a Transportation Network
- Gomez-Lievano, A., B.S., Comportamiento crítico de una pila de arena BTW en una red libre de escala (Critical behavior of a BTW sandpile on a scale-free network)
- Gomez-Lievano, A., The Tragedies and Politics of Social Contagion